THEMELESS - or Much Ado About Nothing ...


[A poor effort, this - the result of a
challenge to write a verse with NO theme ... ]

She wanted a poem that had no theme:
Such a challenge to me was a horrible dream.
I admit I’m a rhymer who’s written much verse,
Some of it better, but most of it worse,
But always a theme there just had to be:
How could this request be made of me?

If I go on like this, then the theme of this piece
Will be that I cannot write themeless with ease …
I know! Through the Internet take a quick surf,
A crafty look round under Cybergran turf!
Ha! Sheer inspiration has come to my aid,
And when nothing I’ve found, my discovery’s made!

Since of nothing I’m thinking, let that bell ring:
“Not anything, single thing, part of a thing!”
So, if asked for the theme of this small verse, so foolish,
I shall simper, then smile, my expression quite mulish.
“The theme?” I shall say. “Why, it’s perfectly clear:
It is all about NOTHING - that’s no theme, my dear!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: