EMMAUS INNKEEPER

[The Supper at Emmaus, painted by Caravaggio in 1601,
brought this about. The Innkeeper speaks.]

1. Welcome, my friends, to this House at Emmaus:
My thanks for your call at my Inn.
I’ve fine wine and hot food, all simple but good:
Now, with what would you like to begin?
There’s goat stew and fresh bread, just for starters:
Would that suit? - and there’s good local wine,
Well, I know that the bread and the wine are both good,
For the hands that have made them are - mine!

2. Here’s water and towels to comfort your feet:
The road leading here is rough walking,
Then, when I have brought you your food and your wine,
I can offer you wonderful talking!
Aha! You enjoy an Innkeeper’s yarns?
Well, my favourite tale is a true one -
And though I’ve known it now for many a year,
Each telling, to me, seems a new one.

3. Right, that’s got your order all settled:
It won’t be too long - my good wife
Knows folks coming in here are hungry:
She’s worked here the whole of her life!
So now, shall I start on my story?
What’s that, Sir? You’d like some more wine?
Here’s a full pitcher just for your table,
Yes, thank you, Sir - that goblet’s mine!

4. Right, now for this story I’ll never forget,
Though I’m still puzzled quite as to why,
But - I’ll tell you all just how it happened -
Perhaps you can explain, by and by?
Remember? I couldn’t forget it! -
One minute - I must serve at the bar -
Now - ‘twas one evening, you see, when three chaps came in,
Looking weary, as travelled from far.

5. And two of ‘em well knew each other -
Though sad, they were chatting, at ease,
But the third - he was different, I can’t quite tell how,
But along with him, somehow came - peace.
They’d invited him in to share supper,
Though I saw he was not known at all,
And I wondered: we’re careful of strangers -
Well, you never know what might befall!

6. So, the three of them sat down together,
And now the two heeded the third:
He seemed like some sort of a teacher,
For the others close followed each word.
So, I brought them the meat, wine and good wheaten bread,
And they thanked me and paid up the bill,
I went back to my bar as they started their meal,
But, still wondering, kept listening still.

7. See, an Innkeeper needs to know what’s going on,
He likes to be up with the news,
It might be the one had some tale for the two,
Or perhaps was just sharing his views.
So I watched ‘em, enjoying their supper,
Till between them, the hot food was done,
Then - and this is why I remember that night -
The strangest of acts was begun.

8. ‘Twas that third man, the one who seemed teacher,
He took and broke up the good bread -
To each gave a piece, having signed a small cross
Above it, and quietly he said:
“This is my body - eat - given for you!” -
And the two stared in utter amaze,
Then they fell to their knees, crying: “Master!”
I could see their whole souls in their gaze!

9. That they’d recognised him in that action,
Those words and that breaking of bread -
Was as plain just as if he had shouted,
Though his words were so quietly said.
And I was completely astonished:
Such a thing never happened before,
And what to do next? I had no idea,
But I moved round the bar to the door.

10. I’d some thought to watch what might happen -
Would the three of them stay - or move on?
But then, as I watched - and I tell you the truth -
That third man - the Master - was gone!
But - which way and where, I had no idea,
But the two scrambled up to their feet,
Amazed, yet delighted, bemused, wild excited
Babbling: “Quick! Run! There’s friends we must meet!”

11. Well, I opened the door and I made them my bow,
And I tried to ask who was “the Master“,
But they ran down the road like fellows possessed -
Had my Inn witnessed joy - or - disaster?
But the two would not stay - they ran fast away,
And left me, friends, just - watching the door,
As I’ve done every day - you see, I think this way:
Will the Master come back, just once more?

12. Will he bless bread I’ve baked, and leave me his peace?
Will my Inn see his presence again?
I don’t know who he was, but I long to, because
Not to know him leaves longing, like pain!
So there, Sirs, I’ve told you my story
Of that evening now so long ago.
Though I don’t understand, I can tell you
Of the one thing I’m sure that I know.

13. And it’s this: through a lifetime of evenings
When I’ve worked here behind this old Bar,
Through the hundreds of travellers I’ve greeted,
Some - like your goodselves - come from far,
There has never again been a Master,
Though so briefly his presence met mine,
And I know, certain sure, I will see him again,
For the peace that he brought was - divine.

14. It may be I must wait till the day I shall die,
But I’ll always keep watching the door,
Sirs, he may walk in here any minute -
And then I’ll be waiting no more!
So, farewell, Sirs, and thanks for your visit,
Do come in when you pass - take your ease!
Perhaps one day, you could meet the Master,
And share in his glorious peace …
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: